Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Things I've Learned on Summer Vacation

1. Never plan back to back to back trips for me or the kids.
2. When you are making plans for the summer, always refer back to rule #1.
3. When you set off on adventures for the summer, start off by counting counties you drive through. I bet if I'd have done that, I would be at 1,427 by now.

Let me explain. Back in January when it was cold and rainy and miserable outside, I found a really cool looking campground in Destin right on the beach. What could be better in the middle of January in the aforementioned weather than thinking about a warm (or hot) summer day with nothing but sunshine and sand. So the only available dates for us to go were the first week in June. That would work OK, because oldest child didn't have to leave for church camp until the Sunday after we got home. That would give me Saturday to do laundry and get her off to camp in north GA.

Then sometime during the spring, my girlfriend who has in-laws with a condo in the Savannah area invited us to go to the beach...you guessed it, the week oldest child was at camp. That would be good, that would give youngest child and me a week at the beach together with friends - a fun time to be had by all. And besides, it will be as easy to repack for three as it would for one. Dear Husband had to stay and work...who else is going to finance my life of luxury?? Then we would come home Friday, pick up oldest child, go to mother-in-law's house, rewash laundry, repack youngest child for a week at said church camp.

So in the span of 2 1/2 weeks, I have left Atlanta, driven to Destin, driven back to Atlanta, driven to north Georgia, driven to Savannah, driven to Atlanta, driven to north Georgia and finally driven home. I go back to north Georgia to pick up youngest child on Friday..I may not be ready to get back in my car by then...

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Don't forget all of the stops at my house to get your toddler fix!