Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Rest Well; Our Country is Safe

This blog came to me last night as I was sitting at Stone Mountain Park getting ready to watch the laser show. Our son, The Dude, has just gotten out of the Army and enlisted in the National Guard. While he was in the Army, God knew exactly what we, as his parents, needed. The Dude was surrounded by supportive, goal-oriented soldiers who took excellent care of him and "had his back" the whole time he was gone. Out of this experience, he (and we) have gained new friends. One husband and wife team came for a visit this weekend. We have met them before, enjoying their company while visiting The Dude at Fort Bragg and he and his wife spent Thanksgiving with us. When it came time for them to get away for awhile, they decided to come up for a visit.

Sunday saw them at Six Flags in blazing 1,453 degree heat. Then we went to the Park last night for the laser show. Watching Sgt. R, Mrs. Sgt. R (who is also in the Army), and The Dude play around and joke and tell stories had me laughing until my sides hurt. There were tears rolling down my cheeks from laughing so hard. I sat there and thought about how differently the whole situation could have played out if things in Iraq had turned out differently, I thought about how thankful I am that God gives us exactly what we need when we need it, I thought about how thankful I am for friends and family.

As you lay your head on your pillow tonight, please say a prayer for our men and women who aren't sleeping in their bed at their house tonight; remember the boys and girls who are in Iraq and would enjoy a trip to the laser show; say a prayer for the sons and daughters who weren't fortunate enough to return home from the battle lines. As Independence Day approaches, say a prayer for those who are helping us keep our independence.

No comments: