Thursday, February 28, 2008

Fabric Paint: $41.23; Bonding with Oldest Child, Priceless

Almost. This week was Spirit Week at the middle school. When I heard the words "Spirit" and "Week" mentioned in the same sentence, I should have ran hard and fast in the other direction. But I didn't. I held out on "silly sock" day. When I saw her, she was wearing green and white striped toe knee knee-socks wth a snowman on each one. That's pretty silly. But not according the Oh, She Who Must Be a Fashion Statement. So she did the next best thing, or so I'm told. She went shopping at the "Best Friend Store" for something "silly". I'm sure when I do laundry this weekend that I'll see some silly pair of socks, wash them, put them in her bookbag, and remind her two or thirty-eleven times to return them to the "Best Friend Store".

Today was "tacky day" - she chose to dress normally. Not sure if that was a hint or a fashion statement. I ignored it.

Tomorrow is "spirit day". What better day to cap off Spirit Week than spirit day?! She was on the dance team, so she has plenty of spirit shirts, right? WRONG! She hates the dance team shirts, she misplaced her spiritwear t-shirts, so she needs to make a spiritwear shirt. Which for all intent and purposes, would be fine. Except by the time I got home and finished running errands, it was, oh, about 6:23. Dear Husband and The Dude were working, Youngest Child (otherwise known as Homebody) didn't want to leave the house. So I decided to go against my better judgement and take Oldest Child to get something to eat and stop by the dreaded Wal-Mart ont he way home.

There is a reason I don't go to Wal-Mart except for once a week...and when the new Kroger opens up at the end of my street, I will go to Wal-Mart a lot less than once a week...money just jumps out of my checking account. But off we go. I needed some cough medicine for Youngest Child and ingredients to make vegetable soup for DH for this weekend. In case you've forgotten, the girls and I will be with our second family this weekend. So Oldest Child got fabric paint (3 colors, because one color would be...hmmm...boring). A t-shirt. And walked out a mere $41.23 later. Nevermindthefact that I have bought $78 milk at Wal-Mart before.

But I will be able to live with myself all day long tomorrow knowing that OC will be all decked out in her homemade spirit shirt tomorrow and all is well with the world...for now.

Note to self: how bet next time there's something going on each day, we write it down in our agenda the week before, decide on Saturday what we want to do each day, and make a list and get everything at once...what a concept.

EDITED TO ADD: She wore the tacky dance team shirt afterall...oh, to be 13 again...(NOT!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i just ended up wearing a dance team shirt with my dance team jacket on. and i never took my jacket off that whole day.
but, i wore the sexy socks. ;)
haha just kidding mom.