Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Jobs

I've had this post in my head for some time, but am just now sitting down to write it. I've thought a lot about jobs lately. Mostly jobs I could never hold. Mind you, I've been working since I was 16 - at the local Dairy Queen. It was THE place to be in my small town. Then in college I worked the switchboard - yes, I was even "the mayor" back then because I even knew what was going on at my college. Then I was an administrative assistant for a large athletic company. Then I was a SAHM for 4 years. And now I teach in a public school.

What job could I not do? The top of the list is mail carrier. Stop and think about it for a minute - how much junk mail do you receive on a daily basis? If I were your postal carrier, I could take care of over half of that because imagine...the postal carrier is loading the mail into the truck in the early morning. Junk, junk, junk...credit card application, junk, sale flyer...it's all going in the trash anyway. I'll just go ahead and throw it in the trash now. Yes, I know it's illegal and I wouldn't last very long in that job.

Convenience store clerk. I would be convinced everyone coming into the store had a gun and was going to rob me.

School bus driver. I can teach the kids, I just can't transport them to and from school. In the classroom, they're in front of me. On the school bus, they are behind me.

Any armed service, God bless them. That's not even an issue since I would never be able to pass the physical to get into the service, so that one is a no-brainer.

Nurse/doctor. First of all, the studying it requires for either is astronomical. Then you have to look at all that blood.

The person who stands and holds the "stop/slow" sign when they're doing road work. Do you know how hot they get on the hot days? Or how cold they get on the cold days? And all that standing...I'd have to bring one of those port-a-chairs you carry with you so I could sit and hold the sign while I was sweating or freezing.

So what about you? What job could you not, for all the money in the world, be able to do?

1 comment:

amy said...

anything in sales!! I could not be a salesperson because I would never sell anything! Don't want it? Okay, have a good day!!