Thursday, February 21, 2008

Starting High School off with a BANG!

Yes, you read correctly...in exactly 12 weeks, I will officially have a high schooler on my hands. The sappy, sentimental stuff will come later (maybe). Tonight was parent night at the new high school. When did I find out about the parent night, you ask? When the phone tree called the house and left a message. Tomorrow, schedules with elective classes selected are due. When did I find out about schedules being due, you ask? When the teacher across the hall from me who also has an eighth grader going to the same school asked me what electives Oldest Child was taking because she knew I was so on the ball and so organized that our schedule would already be completly filled out and waiting anxiously in the agenda to be turned in.

Oh, geez, am I ever going to survive high school?? If I were a mean mother (reminds me of another Erma Bombeck post for another day), I would complete fill out the electives section with courses she (a) hates, (b) doesn't need, or (c) that none of her friends will be taking. But I'm not a mean mother. I'm a rather giving, kind, caring, considerate mother who only wants the best for her Oldest Child (Youngest Child, too, but she's severely low-maintenance right now). So Oldest Child and I will talk about the electives issue while we are driving 20 minutes...at 7:30 on a cold, rainy night when DH and YC are curled up in their jammies watching a movie...to Bible study. If I remember correctly, I think somewhere in the Old or New Testament I read about getting an extra star in my crown for stuff like this...

No comments: