Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Serious Decisions


Posted by Picasa
You'd be surprised how much clearer you can think while on vacation! With the toughest decision made all day being (1) whether to lie by the pool or on the beach and (2) whether we were grilling or eating out. Those two decisions made, that left many, many, many hours to contemplate the meaning of life and the like.
My favorite place in the whole world is the beach. I love the beach and the waves and the wind and the sand and the smell and the sea gulls and the everything else that accompanies the beach. In the time that DH and I have dated/been married, we have only missed vacationing at the beach on a couple of occasions. I have always said when I win $1 million, I will buy a house on the beach.
But then you have to decide what beach, house or condo, what kind of house, and all of the other tough questions associated with house-buying. I don't want a block away from the beach, I don't want in a beach city...I want to walk out my front door and be on the beach. I'm picky like that.
DH then proceeds to tell me the 1,000 reasons why, even if we could afford it, buying a house on the beach would be a bad idea. Insurance and hurricanes were at the top of the list...he is, after all, the practical one of the two.
This is our second year in a row vacationing at Camping on the Gulf in Destin. And yes, we have already booked next year's vacation. And this year, our major beach-house buying dilemma was solved. We won't buy a house on the beach when we win $1 million...we'll buy a top-of-the-line motor coach and park in on the front slot at Camping on the Gulf. Problem solved.
Why the change of heart? Think about it, dear internets. I won't have to buy homeowner's insurance for "beach property" because it won't be on the beach in case of a hurricane. I don't have to pick my favorite beach because I can park it at various and sundry beaches. I won't have to worry about hurting people's feelings when I tell them they can't stay at my beach house. When I retire because I'm a millionaire, I can also take my "beach house" around the country to all the Nascar cities I've wanted to visit. It's a win/ win situation. This dilemma checked off the list, there's no telling what world-wide problem I'll be able to solve while sitting on the beach next summer. I know...dream on, Alice; Wonderland is two doors down.

No comments: