Monday, June 2, 2008

The Excitement - It's Too Much!

I remember a conversation that took place over fourteen years ago very vividly. A girlfriend (who already had children) called on the Saturday before Oldest Child was to be born to check in and see how I was doing. She asked what I was doing and my response: "Cleaning house. I want everything to be in order when Oldest Child comes home." Her reply: "Your last free weekend for the next eighteen YEARS and you're CLEANING HOUSE?!" Didn't realize it then, but she was on to something! I should have been sitting on the couch eating bon-bons watching a movie. But the house, it was clean!

Fast forward fourteen years to present times. Yesterday I took Oldest Child to church camp in north Georgia. She loves camp and would live there permanently if they would let her. She already knows she wants to be a counselor as soon as she's old enough, and she will make an excellent one when she does.

I am counting the hours (2 hours, 48 minutes thankyouverymuch!) until I drop Youngest Child off at 4-H camp. FOR FIVE LOVELY, QUIET, PEACEFUL DAYS WITH NO RESPONSIBILITY - AT ALL - PERIOD - END OF DISCUSSION.

I didn't plan for this to happen. OC picked her week at camp; 4-H is only offered one week. But oh, my word, when I looked at the calendar and realized what had happened...that loud noise you heard at your house was probably me trying to contain my excitement!

What am I going to do, you ask? I was going to paint the white trim on the outside of the house and garage. That is, until I watched Weather Man and realized it was going to be 325 degrees this week. I don't paint when it's much above 70. So I am making a list of little "to do's" around the house that require inside attention. They may get done, or on Friday I may be able to give you reviews on 3 or 27 books I've read this week. Guess you'll just have to stay tuned.

But don't call the house - I may or may not answer the phone. Depends on whether or not my mouth is full of bon-bons!

No comments: