Sunday, August 26, 2007

You Might Be a Redneck if...

you owe the dump $2.25. Jeff Foxworthy would be proud to tell this story. Unfortunately, it's mine and it's true. Yesterday was a hectic day in my house. Oldest Child had to be at a "fall festival" (in 100 degree heat...yeah, right!) to dance, then work till 3:00, then DH and I were going on a couples night out with our two couples friends (another post for another night...have to wait for the pictures...) and Youngest Child was spending the night across the street...whew!. So while I'm walking around the fall festival with Youngest Child, DH calls to ask if I'll go with The Dude to take the trailer, filled with various and asundry junk to the dump. Of course I can fit that into my schedule today...afterall, it's only been sitting loaded on the trailer for, oh, over a MONTH now...of course I'll ride with The Dude to the dump. TODAY.

Let me just say here and now if I ever get purse snatched, the robber will get away with about $1.22 because I don't carry cash. During the week, we never go anywhere; on the weekend, I've got the ATM card to take care of everything, so who needs cash?? So as we are about to set out for the dump, I go to what's left of the cash from the carnival...$3. I go raid DH's wallet...gee... another $3...wow!...I'm up to a whoppin' $6. Still not sure that's enough to cover the cost of what we're dropping off, I ask The Dude who is single and has no cares in the world if he has any cash I can borrow until I can go uptown to the bank...you guessed it...$3. Now seein' as how I'm fitting this trip into my already crammed calendar, our bank is not in the same direction as the dump, so I really don't want to take the time to go all the way to the bank, come all the way back by the house, and then head to the dump. So all together, I'm heading to the dump with a grand total of $9.00.

As we set out, I'm trying my best to remember exactly where said dump is...I remember going there awhile back; I was driving and my neighbor was telling me "turn here", "turn there" until we were there. All I remember about the drive is that we turn right by a funeral home and that road dead-ends into the dump. OK...we're in business now. So we finally see the funeral home, we turn and low and behold, we dead end right into the dump. Turns out, the dump is about 1/2 block from where The Dude is now gainfully employed. We drive onto the scale, the Nice Lady hands us our blue card that looks kinda like the card you put in your windshield when you're picking up from carpool lanes...we go drop off our precious materials ('scuse me, I mean junk)...and we drive back around to Nice Lady so she can weigh our truck once it's empty and we can pay for the privledge of using the dump. So we get to the window and give her our carpool card, and she says, in her very southern accent, "That'll be $11.25." I look at The Dude; The Dude looks at me. I look down in the dark crevices of my purse, he digs through his pockets...I recount our nine one dollar bills (and again, come up with NINE)...The Dude asks Nice Lady if they take credit or debit cards. Of course not, that would be too simple...who goes to the dump and whips out the Gold American Express?? Still smiling, Nice Lady says, "How much ya'll have?" The Dude says "nine". Nice Lady says, "Oh, just give me that, that'll do...just remember to next time you're here to add it onto your bill". But of course, Nice Lady, absolutely, anything you say...thank you so much for giving us credit at the dump. And you can bet your bottom dollar, being the honest, down-home person I am...next time I take a load of valuables to the dump, I'll be armed with cash and will remember to tell Nice Lady to add $2.25 to my bill.

No comments: