Monday, July 30, 2007

A Girl's Gotta Do...

...what a girl's gotta do. That's why when I realized it was almost my friend Lynne's birthday, we decided a girl's night was definitely in order. We, meaning our little group of three friends (of which I am the oldest, but you can keep that between us, 'kay??) Between the three of us, we have 10 kids...one set of twins, one set of triplets. Not only am I the oldest of the group, I am also closer to being an empty nester than my two dear friends...oh, wait...is it bad to be thinking about the empty nest syndrome when my kids are 13 and 10??

Keep in mind...it is now the end of July. My birthday came and went; we were going to get together over dinner to celebrate. J's birthday came and went; since we didn't get together for dinner for my birthday, we definitely have to do it for J's birthday. Yeah, right! Read above paragraph about the number of kids we share between us (especially the triplet one!). So when we looked on the calendar and realized that Lynne's birthday was quickly approaching, a girl's night out was definitely in order.

So off we went to a nice, quiet resturaunt. We must've had that look in our eyes, because the hostess sat us in the back of the resturaunt. We could have cared less what we ordered; we had noone to answer to but ourselves. noone to feed but ourselves. noone to take to the little girl's room but ourselves. So we were able to sit, relax and enjoy each other's company.

In the course of our evening, being the multi-tasking mothers that we are, we crossed some of the "to-do's" off of our list. We planned J's DH's 40th birthday party (not until March, but it's never too early to start) and we planned Lynne's next, ahem, ahem, birthday party. Not gonna tell you which one it is, but it requires a party with lots of advance planning. Plus we planned next month's Supper Club, which will include our DH's (and pictures). So we not only got to enjoy each other's company (I can't begin to tell you how many times the waiter came by and asked if we were sure we didn't want a refill on our drinks...tea and Coke...), but we also turned into party planners, we laughed, loved, and if the resturaunt hadn't been ready to shut down, I'm sure we could have a good handle on world peace.

So Happy Birthday, Lynne...remember, I get my pick of seats on the Party Bus next year. Happy belated birthday J - yes, you are still much younger than I. Thank you both for your love, your support, and your friendship.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Yep, we had a great time. Any time all three of us can get a night out, it is fun. Funny how all we do is plan, plan, plan.