Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Recalculating

“Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” (Galatians 6:2) What an appropriate verse for today. Haven't been blogging about the WVU/MSU football game; haven't posted pictures of us at the GT game; haven't caught you up on the latest middle school dance team drama; haven't writting a blog in awhile. I received a call on Tuesday evening that my dad was in critical condition in the hospital in VA. Everything else takes backseat when you receive a phone call like that.

Unfortunately, my dad didn't make it through this illness; he passed away Wednesday afternoon after a long illness. So instead of all the plans I had for the weekend, everything in my world was recalculated, we traveled to WV for the memorial service, and now we're home. When I read this Bible verse, I thought about all the phone calls and e-mails I've received in the past week.

Everyone wants to do something to help. It took me so long to be able to say, "yes". It took me a long time to be able to accept the help that others are offering. It is not a sign of weakness; it is not a sign of need. It is a sign that if the tables were turned, I'd be the one who wanted to help. So when a neighbor called and said she wanted to bring dinner tonight, instead of telling her I was fine and she didn't need to do that, I simply said, "thank you" and "that's nice". She and her husband even joined us for dinner and we had a great time.

I'm sure there will be many examples of that in the days ahead; so I will receive when it is my turn to receive. By doing that, I will be ready to give back when the time comes.

No comments: