Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Fitting End to a Crazy-Hazy Day

I am killing time waiting for Oldest Child to get home from church with her friend. I'm learning the hard way I have to be very literal with OC. I've known this since she was an infant...why is it taking me this long to get it right?? She wanted to go to visit evening church with a friend who was doing a presentation on a mission trip to Romania she went on this summer (the friend, not OC). OK, if we're home from the going away party at the State Park on the hottest day of the year, you can go. We just made it in the nick of time. I dropped her off, the friend's mom was going to bring her home. That was at 6:30. It is now after 10:00 and I'm still waiting. Of course there was a "get together" at the youth minister's house after church. One last hoo-rah before school starts. I know, I know...I should be glad she's at a church function with her church friends and she is making good choices, etc., etc. And I am. I am. I promise I am. But that doesn't bring her home any quicker when I'm tired and want to go to bed and have to get up for school tomorrow and I turn into a pumpkin at precisely at 9:30 every night. But if I hadn't been up, I wouldn't have been checking out blogs. And if I hadn't been checking out blogs, I wouldn't have found this.





This song has been one of my favorites since the first time I heard it on the radio. But today has been a day. I found out in Sunday School this morning that a dear, sweet friend has been admitted to a treatment center for anorexia. She has a husband and two small children at home.

Then on the way to the going away party, my assistant principal called me and told me that one of the teachers new to my school this year had been shot and killed by her brother Friday night. Impossible. I just met her Friday morning. Impossible. She was in my small group for our activity. Impossible. She has a husband and four children at home. Impossible. She is so young, so full of life. Impossible. These things happen to other people, not people I know.

So say extra prayers tonight for these two special friends. And go hug your babies just a little tighter when you tuck them in tonight.

** Edited to add...I should have known...as I was finishing up this post, just as I was publishing it...OC came home and had a great time. I'm going to bed; good night!

1 comment:

Oldest Child said...

Hey mommy i was just reading this.
Think of where i would be now if it WEREN'T for that night?
My life would be so much different because it flipped around, and it all started because of THAT night.
wow. It's almost the end of the school year...
Wow...