Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Christmas in July

With the uttering of one single sentence, my entire Christmas shopping list was completed...and it's only July. "We're going to Orlando...on New Year's...to the Capitol One Bowl!" Only Oldest Child had a few more explanation points in there; and I think possibly her's could have been written in all caps; possibly with a quotation mark or two thrown in for good measure.



Perhaps you will recall the OC is the typical, driven, oldest offspring. She can accomplish anything she sets her mind to. I merely sit back and hang on for the ride, not afraid to tighten the reins when necessary. I stopped asking, "How bad can it be?" long, long ago with OC...because she will set out to show me. Another phrase I refuse to use: "What are the odds?" What were the odds a freshman would make the high school dance team?? What are the odds that said dance team will finish in the top three at dance camp this week? Because the top three teams get a "chance" to compete at the Capitol One Bowl in Orlando on New Year's Day (perhaps, could it be, that my ALL CAPS button isn't working...hmmm...). Notice I used the word "chance". As opposed, to...oh, say, "all expense paid trip to the Orange Bowl".



So now my Christmas list is made. Gas cards will fit so nicely into the stockings hung by the chimney with care. Hotel vouchers will be quite heavy if I put them in a box with a couple of rocks. And I will look so nice in a bathing suit on NEW YEARS! Wanna hear the real kicker?? OC thought I was joking when I said we were turning this into a family vacation! Merry Christmas to all. And to all a good night.

2 comments:

amy said...

Oh Fab, you are too much!! Poor OC, how is she ever going to make it????

Anonymous said...

Hello mother.
OLDEST CHILD here.
and yes, it is me.
i am babysitting amy's son.
:] he's next to me.
and AMY. I will make it.
i'm just going to pretend that youngest child isn't there.
it will all work out swell. :]
haha i just said swell!