Thursday, August 30, 2007

I Told You So

Steve is on the left, Ed in the blue shirt and Clif in the yellow.


All smiles. They actually admitted to enjoying it.

Of all the titles I could have come up with for this post, this one seemed most appropriate. Early on in my child-rearing years, I discovered the joys of pedicures. Every now and then, I'll even splurge and get a manicure to go with it, but pedicures are figured into the budget every month. Every now and then, I'll invite DH to go with me because I know once he steps into the salon, he'll be hooked. But he always comes up with excuses and has, for the better part of 13 years, won.

That all changed last weekend when we went on a couples night out. You have heard me write about my friend Julie (who has twins and a 5 year old) and Lynne (and babies make six). When Julie and I took Lynne out for her birthday, we started talking about how we all liked pedicures (that's what we got Lynne for her birthday, by the way) and how our husbands would enjoy them if we could only get them in the chair. Well, that was all it took. We planned the salon, the date, the way we were going to get them out of the house, even lined up a few babysitters. The hardest part for me: keeping it a secret until the big day.

I haven't been blogging during the Christmas season, so I guess you'll have to come back...but I absolutely, beyond the shadow of a doubt, hate surprises. In fact, I loathe surprises. I even go buy all of my own Christmas presents, wrap them up, and put them under the tree because I can't stand to be surprised...yes, I'm a control freak. So in order not to tell Dear Husband, I had to totally block it all out of my mind. Then, I stayed busy all day Saturday so I wouldn't spoil it. We arrived right on time to pick up Lynne and Clif...who had decided he'd rather eat at a different resturant for dinner. Nope, notta, sorry...gotta go to Sydney's (it is, after all, strategically placed right next to the nail salon). Finally, it was time to reveal our secret (yes, the one I actually kept for a WHOLE. ENTIRE. MONTH thankyouverymuch!

The funny party was watching their faces and them realizing that yes, we were serious, and yes, they really did have reservations in seats right beside each other, and no, we weren't having our nails done, we were only watching. If one would have walked away, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum would have followed. But noone wanted to be the first to walk...so in they go. The rest is history.

But I won because Steve (and Ed and Clif) admitted that yes, he did enjoy it and yes, his feet feel much better and yes, he will be back. For someone who routinely works 60-80 hours a week, personally I don't see how he's lasted this long without one. I do, after all, only look out for his best intersts : )

No comments: